Emerge updating


13-Nov-2019 04:13

After several years of negotiations between the companies, work started in 1842.The M&LR built an extension from Miles Platting to the station which opened on 1 January 1844.Platforms 1–4 at Victoria were taken out of use in 1973 in anticipation of the tunnel coming to the surface in that part of the station.The tunnel project was cancelled in the late 1970s because of high costs, and in the 1980s transport planners turned to light rail as a lower-cost option.The L&MR extended its line from Ordsall to Victoria and its trains operated from the western end from , on which date its Liverpool Road station terminus became a goods station. Its long, single-storey building designed by George Stephenson and completed by John Brogden was approached by a wooden footbridge over the River Irk before the river was culverted.The L&MR became part of the Grand Junction Railway in 1845, which in turn amalgamated with other railways to create the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) in 1846, and the M&LR amalgamated with other railways to create the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway (L&YR) the following year.On this date, the Oldham Road terminus was closed to passenger services and became a goods station.The new station had a 852 ft (260 m) long single platform which handled M&LR trains to Leeds and elsewhere at its eastern end.

Situated to the north of the city centre on Hunts Bank, close to Manchester Cathedral, it adjoins Manchester Arena which was constructed on part of the former station site in the 1990s.The present station façade, designed by William Dawes, was built in 1909.