Any further information about this building would be welcomed!
One "workhouse" establishment whose precise nature is unknown appears on a Japanese postcard — "Workhouse of Yokohama".
Its operation was overseen by an elected Board of Guardians, 11 in number, representing its 9 constituent parishes as listed below (figures in brackets indicate numbers of Guardians if more than one): Hampshire: Breamore, North Charford, South Charford, Fordingbridge (3), Hale, Rockbourne. Later Additions: Ashley Walk (from 1868), Toyd Farm and Allenford, Woodgreen.
The population falling within the union at the 1831 census had been 5,567 with parishes ranging in size from South Charford (population 67) to Fordingbridge itself (2,611).
The workhouse location and layout are shown on the 1908 map below. Two single-storey entrance blocks stood at the south of the site. Fordingbridge rear of main block from the north-west, 2000. A separate children's block at the west of the site included boys' and girls' dayrooms, classrooms, a Mistress's room, and the children's dormitories, bathrooms and lavatories.
High profile Dublin restaurants, hospitals and Government agencies all placed their orders with this well-managed and trusted source of fine quality meat.
At the tender age of 15, Noel left school to learn his trade in the family Henry Street shop.
Noel was passionate and full of promise, moving swiftly from an apprenticeship in Limerick to the Anderson Butcher’s shop of Glasnevin and then to FX Buckley’s on Chatham Street in Dublin. They opened their own butcher shop (initially rented and later acquired) on Dublin’s Francis Street in 1966.
The abattoir on Ossory Road was operating at full capacity and in 1975 when Noel and Marie purchased a farm in Clonee, Co. Here, they designed, constructed and created a beef abattoir and boning hall, transforming their small family butcher business into the beginnings of Kepak Group, a now internationally-acclaimed export business.
Noel Keating always had a future-forward sense of business and market needs.In 1987 a lamb abattoir and boning hall were purchased in Hacketstown, Co Carlow and in 1988, another was purchased in Athleague, Co Roscommon.